23-24 CT Academic Dean
Company: Achievement First
Location: New Haven
Posted on: January 25, 2023
School Year : 2023-2024
Leading at Achievement First
As an Academic Dean at Achievement First, you will be at the center
of this work- coaching our teachers and driving decisions that will
benefit our scholars. Here, you will be the driver of high quality
coaching instruction that enables teachers to develop and deliver
strong content and to help our scholars develop a lifelong love of
learning. You will work with teachers to be your students' champion
who believes all students are capable of greatness. You will be a
demander of excellence for yourself, your teachers and your
students, an educator who helps create a vibrant school community
where students have the type of powerful school experience that
fosters their best and most thoughtful work.
At Achievement First, you will grow as a passionate and constant
leader who thrives on feedback, enjoys regular one-on-one coaching
with your principal, and nurtures a voracious appetite for
professional development and consistent improvement. You will
cultivate schoolwide classroom cultures built on strong structures,
communication and lasting relationships. Every day, you will
contribute to the education of children who will go on to become
the next generation of leaders in our communities.
As an Academic Dean at Achievement First, your typical week would
include the following, and more:
Coaching and developing staff to achieve excellent student
- Analyze school wide data in order to design responsive and
effective student interventions.
- Develop highly effective instructional curriculum and schedule,
in collaboration with principal and Team Teaching & Learning in the
Network Support office.
- Observe lessons regularly and deliver targeted feedback to
- Collaborate with grade/subject teams to plan units, lessons and
assessments; regularly share feedback.
- Assist teachers to devise and monitor high-impact support plans
- Model outstanding instruction for teachers.
Facilitating excellent professional development:
- Coordinate and manage creative, inspiring professional
development sessions in line with school goals and priorities.
- Direct the interim assessment process to ensure teachers are
using current data to drive instruction; facilitate regular,
meaningful interim assessment data debriefs with teachers.
- Lead staff trainings at start and end of school year and on
professional development day.
Serve as an active member of the school leadership team:
- Analyze school wide data in order to design responsive student
- Track other useful academic data (e.g. homework completion
rates); communicate progress to students, teachers and
- Participate in regular leadership team meetings.
- Work closely with dean of students to support efforts in
character development and positive school culture.
- Assist teacher leaders (e.g., coaches, grade team leaders) in
developing leadership skills.
Skills and Characteristics:
- An active and demonstrated commitment to Achievement First's
mission and values: Leading for Racial Equity, Embrace Challenge,
and Go Further Together.
- A Track record of exemplary instructional and classroom
management skills, including meeting extremely high standards for
- A Proven ability to proactively and effectively coach and
manage adults and drive excellent student achievement through
- Superior personal organizational skills, ability to coach
others to improve their organizational skills and efficiency, and
ability to "zoom out" to create and manage systems and projects
that require long range planning and organization.
- People Leadership: Strong self awareness and awareness of
others, and exceptional "warm/demanding" balance when leading
- Growth mindset for self and others; willingness to seek out
feedback and ability to implement constructive feedback quickly and
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter.
- A bachelor's degree; master's degree preferred.
- Certified as a school leader per your state's guidelines and
requirements; If not currently certified, ability to obtain
necessary state certification in specific subject and grade level
is required within the first two months of employment.
- At least 3 years of K-12 full-time lead teaching experience
with a record of high student achievement.
- At least 1 year of experience coaching and leading adults to
obtain high student achievement.
Compensation & Benefits
- Employees at Achievement First are provided with a competitive
salary. Our salaries are set through a lens of equity, and based on
an individual's skills, education, and years of experience relevant
to the role. Dean salaries in CT range from $80,078 - $89,244
- As a regular full time employee of Achievement First, you will
be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and
life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with
match and paid Family Leave.
Achievement First is offering a $5,000 signing bonus for full-time,
school-based new hires for the 2022-23 school year in all three of
our regions (CT, NY, RI). Experienced Rhode Island educators in
hard-to-fill seats may be eligible for an additional bonus of
$2,500. Please note: This bonus does not apply to Principal
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an
organization that values diversity. People from all diverse
backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language
proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at
Achievement First here:
Keywords: Achievement First, New Haven , 23-24 CT Academic Dean, Other , New Haven, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!