Company: City of New Haven
Location: New Haven
Posted on: November 22, 2022
This is administrative professional recreation work in the
development and implementation of nature recreation, team building
activities, environmental education, outdoor adventure, and
volunteer programs. Work involves the planning, executing and
evaluation of these programs; maintaining trails and ranger
facilities and providing administrative direction for city-wide
40 hours per week; will include some evening and weekend hours to
support initiatives and programming.
*MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS include: * Graduation from a four-year
college, with major course work in natural history/nature
interpretation, environmental education or recreation, and one to
three years of experience in the nature recreation field, or any
equivalent combination of training and experience which provides
the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
* Knowledge of several disciplines collectively referred to as
Field Natural History.
* Knowledge of group psychology and leadership techniques
especially as they relate to outdoor and recreation activities.
* Thorough knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of organized
* Knowledge of park management practices and ability to program and
implement park maintenance projects and to use the necessary tools
of the trade including but not limited to power cutting equipment
such as chain saws, weed whackers and pole pruners.
* Knowledge of the suite of programs referred to as Microsoft
* Knowledge of Rec Trac or other industry standard recreation
management software preferred.
* Ability to organize, supervise and deliver nature education and
outdoor adventure programs for participants of all ages, including
those adapted for individuals with physical or mental
* Ability to supervise volunteers and assigned part time staff.
* Ability to work with diverse groups interested in the advocacy of
* Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with a wide variety of
service and civic organizations, city officials, city department
and agency heads, and the general public.
* Ability to obtain and maintain all necessary licenses and
certifications for program delivery which may include but are not
limited to: American Canoe Association (ACA) Adaptive Paddling
ACA L2 in Coastal Kayaking,
ACA L2 in Canoe Touring,
ACA L1 in Stand Up Paddle Boarding,
Level 1 Archery Instructor form USA Archery,
First Aid including CPR,
League of American Bicyclists League Certified Instructor,
Successful completion of ropes course training including belaying
* Must have a valid Connecticut Driver's License.
*INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY: *
In order to be considered for this title, you must apply during the
posting period via the online application portal.
1) Go to https://www.jobapscloud.com/oec/NewHaven/
2) First-time users will click "New User Registration" and create
your Applicant Profile
3) Click on available job postings and Apply Online. You will need
a valid, working email address to apply.
Please note that our method of communication with applicants is by
email. In the application process, please provide us with a valid
email address, and ensure you monitor your email, including spam or
junk, for correspondence from our department.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $54,158.00 per year
* Dental insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Health insurance
* Health savings account
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Retirement plan
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
* Monday to Friday
* Weekend availability
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: City of New Haven, New Haven , Park Ranger, Other , New Haven, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!