Global Product Communications Summer Intern
Company: Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Location: New Haven
Posted on: May 13, 2022
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime - like a job
where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people
living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We
are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in
all we do to help patients and families fully live their best
lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and
recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of
our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for
This is what you will do:
Alexion's summer internship program blends real world experience
with hands-on learning about the biotechnology industry.
Knowledgeable mentors will provide guidance as you gain
professional experience. The summer internship program is 10 weeks
in length and offers a unique perspective for those looking to
start a career in healthcare communications. Our internship program
also provides you with the opportunity to network with people at
Alexion through various events and activities.
The Global Product Communications internship position will be a
fully integrated member of the External Communications team for the
duration of the internship, with opportunities to make meaningful
contributions and demonstrate a real passion for communication.
This individual will gain valuable work experience in different
areas across the global Commercial business.
You will be responsible for:
As a Global Product Communications intern, you will help build the
reputation of Alexion by supporting communication activities that
bring value across the Commercial organization. The successful
- Help engage, align, inspire, and inform our stakeholders around
- Blend communication, marketing, and journalism disciplines and
demonstrate a strong ability to write and create a wide variety of
content in a number of formats, such as media materials, web copy,
presentations, articles, and videos.
- Contribute to research for current and/or future campaigns and
translate the information into insights and strategy.
- Engage with Alexion employees across geographic regions, and
with cross-functional partners within Alexion such as Commercial,
Patient Advocacy, and Government Affairs, as well as agencies
working on our behalf.
You will need to have:
- Undergraduate or Graduate student with at least one year of
university studies prior to internship.
- A major in communications, journalism, marketing, healthcare,
or life sciences field is preferred.
- Previous internship/experience in a communications/marketing
role is preferred.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a U.S. accredited university for
the semester before and immediately following the
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. on a permanent
- Must be available full-time (40 hours/week) for a minimum of 10
weeks during the summer months, from the period of June 6 through
August 12, 2022. The end date is flexible.
- Must have an interest in pursuing a career in
communications/public affairs (individuals pursuing graduate
degrees in science or any healthcare-related field who have
communications experience also are eligible).
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse work
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and complete
deliverables in a timely manner.
- Outstanding attention to detail, follow-through, and high sense
- Self-motivated, show adaptability, creativity, and good
- Problem-solver, with ability to escalate issues
- Strong teammate, highly collaborative with a 'can-do'
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Drive to take personal ownership and accountability for
- Comfortable challenging status quo and bringing forward new
ideas for communications activities, reaching target
- The duties of this role are generally conducted in an office
environment. As is typical of an office-based role, employees must
be able, with or without an accommodation to use a computer; engage
in communications via phone, video, and electronic messaging;
engage in problem solving and non-linear thought, analysis, and
dialogue; collaborate with others; maintain general availability
during standard business hours.
We would prefer for you to have:
- Strong writing skills and creative thinking that contributes to
simple, engaging communication campaigns.
- Experience developing content across multiple channels and
- Understanding of messaging hierarchy and how to adapt topics
for relevant audiences and stakeholders.
- Proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel and other Microsoft Office
programs is preferred.
- Strong digital and social media acumen; proficiency in social
media platforms (primarily LinkedIn and Twitter).
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with the ability
to interact with leaders and matrixed functions and
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving
patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating
conditions through the discovery, development and commercialization
of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts,
Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more
than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and
Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a
culture of belonging where every single person can belong because
of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about
employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and
conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or
lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national
origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy,
(including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical
conditions), parental status (including adoption or surrogacy),
military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical
condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information,
mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion
has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and
patients from COVID-19 and its variants. All US-based employees
must comply with Alexion's COVID-19 vaccination mandate. Alexion
provides exceptions based on applicable state law as well as
reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and
employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding
a legally required exemption or accommodation, please contact
accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion offers a highly
competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a
comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health,
wellness and financial security of our employees and their
families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental
coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with
company match, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the
creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you're interested
in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.
Keywords: Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc., New Haven , Global Product Communications Summer Intern, Other , New Haven, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!