Required Qualifications: As per Civil Service Standards and
Specifications. Must have taken and passed the required Medical
Assistant, State Civil Service Decentralized Exam and be reachable
on the appropriate current Civil Service list (See "Special
Notes"). Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Program of
one year in duration; or Completion of an accredited Medical
Assistant Program which is less than one year in duration and post
Medical Assistant Program experience in a clinical/health care
setting that together equals at least one year; or License, limited
permit, or eligibility for a limited permit to practice as a
Practical Nurse in New York State, or Licensed Practical Nurse
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of medical terminology.
Exceptional customer service and telephone etiquette. Ability to
maintain effective and organized systems to ensure timely patient
flow. Computer and/or EMR experience.
Brief Description of Duties: This position requires the medical
assistant to provide support to physicians and other clinical
staff. The Medical Assistant performs routine clinical and clerical
- Place patients in the examination rooms and document using the
electronic medical record, medications, vitals and reason for the
- Perform screening and measuring procedures, which include but
is not limited to, height, weight, blood pressure, pulse,
- Assist with setting up and preparing the patient and equipment
for exams and special procedures as needed.
- Collect blood or other laboratory specimens as requested by
- Perform routine laboratory tests.
- Enter proposed orders into Electrical Medical Record for
licensed independent provider review and approval.
- Obtain previous test results from outside labs, radiology,
physicians' offices, etc.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets and
physicians' instructions to the patient in a clear and effective
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated
supplies according to regulations.
- Maintain an adequate supply of medical inventory in each exam
- Ensure the cleanliness of each exam room.
- Prepare rooms after each patient and for specific procedures as
- Order supplies as needed.
- Ensure HIPAA and OSHA guidelines are followed at all
- Perform administrative duties when needed; answering phones,
scheduling appointments, etc.
- Create and update telephone encounters when reporting and
responding to patients' medical concerns and requests; forward to
appropriate staff and medical providers.
- Adheres to protocol for patient flow (1. Reception, 2.
Registration, 3. Triage, 4. Labs, 5. Escort to Provider).
- Adheres to Visit Completion Protocol (1. Receive encounter and
referral forms, 2. Schedule next appointments, 3. Schedule outside
referrals at appointed time, 4. Update visit log).
- Perform all other related duties as assigned by
Special Notes: This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week,
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. FLSA Nonexempt
position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory
rehire roster candidates have preference.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online
To be considered for a Medical Assistant position, candidate
must have a reachable score on the Medical Assistant Decentralized
Along with submitting this electronic application, please
complete and submit an Application for NYS Examinations and
Supplemental Questionnaire by following this link https://www.cs.ny.gov/extdocs/pdf/nysapp.pdf
Fully completed applications MUST be submitted to West Campus Human
Resources Department by fax at 631-632-4984 along with copies of
all supporting documents (certifications/degrees/licenses). You may
also mail your application to Human Resource Services, 390
Administration Building, Stony Brook, NY 11794-0751.
There will be no written test as the score is rated on education
and experience. The supplemental questionnaire IS YOUR TEST. Please
refer to the Civil Service Examination Announcement for additional
information prior to submitting your application and supporting
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential
position based on the duties of the job and the functions
performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to
report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and
the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity
and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex,
pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, age, disability, genetic information,veteran status and
all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the
university, The Office of Equity and Access (OEA) at (631) 632-6280
or visit OEA.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act
a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we