Senior Project Engineer- Small Appliances
Posted on: June 8, 2021
At UL, we know why we come to work.
Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common
purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable
place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and
passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in
knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society,
and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity,
collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront
of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to
find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying?
Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
As our global footprint continues to grow, we are looking for a
Senior Electrical Engineer to join our Small Appliances Team in
Northbrook, IL, RTP, NC, or Melville, NY!
What you'll learn & achieve:
- Independently determines project scope, develops a preliminary
plan of investigation, and determines project specifications such
as cost, time, and sample requirements by analyzing client input,
available supplemental data, and product construction. Projects may
include frequent travel to conduct or witness tests at client
- Initiates communication with clients to promote and explain the
benefits of new and existing services. Follows up on contacts from
clients. Communicates with clients to discuss technical issues,
explain UL procedures and requirements, convey project cost, and
negotiate completion date and sample requirements. Acts to address
client concerns and to resolve complex client issues. Provides
technical assistance to clients in reference to product inspection
and follow-up services.
- Establishes appropriate test programs by reviewing files and
manufacturer's information, examining samples, and applying UL
requirements. Determines areas in which the product is not in
compliance with UL requirements or of any changes in project scope
or specifications, and notifies client.
- Coordinates complex laboratory activities by preparing data
sheets and instructions to technicians and by establishing
completion dates. Coordinates administrative aspects of project
management. Serves as Project Handler of record and signs as
Reviewer of record as assigned.
- Communicates project status and results to clients through
frequent contact and by preparing reports. Prepares Follow-Up
Service Procedures and information pages.
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into
all aspects of the job.
- Resolves complex engineering issues associated with Variation
Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the
- Develops UL requirements for testing products beyond the scope
of existing standards, or those involving unique features requiring
frequent use of independent judgment. Develops special test methods
and test equipment. Coordinates and/or performs File Reviews. May
represent UL on technical committees and/or industry-related
functions such as seminars and trade shows.
- May provide direction as a Primary Designated Engineer or
Designated Engineer for specific product categories.
- Directs and reviews work of assigned staff. Trains office,
field, and/or laboratory staff and entry level engineers. Provides
technical assistance in several product categories, operations or
systems to laboratory and/or field staff.
- Performs other duties as directed.
What makes you a great fit:
- University Degree in Electrical Engineering, Engineering
Technology, or Physics plus eight years directly related work
- Detailed knowledge of the technical vocabulary common to the
- Working knowledge of conformity standards in use in areas of
- Demonstrated ability to apply project-handling concepts in use
in areas of expertise, including application to complex, new, or
- Working knowledge of industry issues, needs, and problems.
- IEC Experience - Ideally IEC/EN 60335 preferred.
- Experience with Electronic Controls preferred.
What you'll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn't new.
Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has
been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply
engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working
here, and you'll almost always hear, "the people." Going beyond
what is possible is the standard at UL. We're able to deliver the
best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we
eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers' create.
We're inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how
people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles,
you will get international experience working with colleagues
around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted
development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very
own UL University that offers extensive training programs for
employees at all stages, including a technical training track for
- Total Rewards: In the US, we provide lots of great benefits for
our employees are their families. From Volunteer Days off to 401k
match and retirement contribution benefits to flexible work
location & schedule options we look to support our employees no
matter what stage in life they are experiencing.
Working at UL is an exciting journey that twists and turns
daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our
every day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit
Keywords: UL, New Haven , Senior Project Engineer- Small Appliances, Other , Melville, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!