Sr. Clinical Data Specialist
Company: Yale-New Haven Health
Location: New Haven
Posted on: June 8, 2021
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand
and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our
Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect,
accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as
individuals and professionals, every day.
The senior clinical data specialist is responsible for leading
assigned team (s) of abstractors. Coordinating the efficient and
accurate abstraction of assigned team project work. Collaborates
with hospital Performance Management and clinical personnel to
support the performance improvement efforts s as needed. The
incumbent will serve as data collector, coordinator and liaison in
Yale New Haven Health System projects. The incumbent will
coordinate, lead and participate in retrieving and entering data
associated with the assigned team projects according to
specifications. The incumbent will take personal responsibility for
monitoring the team data collection process and will work with
administrators, physicians, nurses and associated staff to ensure
efficient and accurate data collection and reporting.
- Precepts new clinical data abstractor to department and
continues to mentor new abstractor in their assigned project
- Abstraction lead on one or more quality measure sets and or
registries ensuring there are written instructions, guidelines and
data dictionaries maintained and up to date.
- Abstracts relevant data associated with assigned projects.
Ensures the integrity and accuracy of information collected by team
members and entered into the data collection system for their
- Schedule, organize and lead assigned project team meetings on a
- Communicate and ensure assigned project team is aware of any
changes related to the measure(s) or registry.
- Maintains expertise in the assigned abstraction project(s)
supporting problem solving with team members.
- Proactively takes initiative in evaluating measure requirements
when asked to take on new project work. Takes into consideration
needed database access and training, data elements needs, data
element definitions, and collaborates with hospital contacts on
documentation requirements. Develops plan for project
- Responsible for coordinating and monitoring the inter -rater
reliability process for assigned project (s) and any project audits
conducted by external vendors.
- Independent in running required reports and data cleaning
scrubbing on assigned projects, Ability to communicate data results
and defects to hospital based Performance Management /Clinical
customers on assigned projects . Active participant in peer review
process with hospital contacts to identify risk areas,
documentation trends and communicate changes in measure
- Proactively identifies potential problems affecting the data
collection process on assigned project (s) and coordinates
follow-up of problem resolution.
- Independently collaborates with hospital Performance Management
/Clinical teams or other departments on assigned project related
- Complies with HIPAA guidelines for security and confidentiality
of data and information.
- Proactive in monitoring changes in clinical documentation and
communicating these changes to team members.
- Acts as a role model in team work and promoting a positive work
environment. Provides expertise in overall abstraction process and
abstraction process organization skills.
- Responsible for maintaining, improving and communicating
information gleaned from attendance at in-services, seminars,
meetings or by participating in relevant listservs related to
assigned abstraction projects.
- Maintains flexible work schedule to meet the needs of a given
project and is a role model for this flexibility to other team
- Willing travels to YNHHS member facilities to promote improved
communication with hospital teams on assigned projects.
- A liaison to the team and Manager for assigned project (s)
concerning barriers encountered, clarification of data elements ,
data submission and any other abstraction team issues. Proactively
communicates and keeps management informed of any irregularities or
- Actively promotes positive working relationships within
department and system wide departments.
- Takes on any other work as needed to meet department
Bachelors Degree in Nursing preferred.
Five (5) to seven (7) years' experience in public health,
healthcare or related field required, clinical experience
preferred. Two to three years' experience in working with complex
systems issues such as case management , utilization review or
project management experience is required. Minimum three (3) years'
experience with structured electronic medical record abstraction is
required. Working knowledge with entering clinical information into
computerized databases is required.
RN licensure required
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to
exercise independent judgement. Must have working knowledge of
Microsoft Word, Excel and software packages. Experience with Epic
YNHHS Requisition ID
Keywords: Yale-New Haven Health, New Haven , Sr. Clinical Data Specialist, Other , New Haven, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!