Senior Research Scientist, Formulation R&D
Company: Arvinas, Inc.
Location: New Haven
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Arvinas is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated
to improving the lives of patients suffering from debilitating and
life-threatening diseases through the discovery, development, and
commercialization of therapies that degrade disease-causing
proteins. Arvinas uses its proprietary PROTAC Discovery Engine
platform to engineer proteolysis targeting chimeras, or PROTAC
targeted protein degraders, that are designed to harness the body's
own natural protein disposal system to selectively and efficiently
degrade and remove disease-causing proteins. In addition to its
robust preclinical pipeline of PROTAC protein degraders against
validated and "undruggable" targets, the company has two
clinical-stage programs: ARV-110 for the treatment of men with
metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer; and ARV-471 for the
treatment of patients with locally advanced or metastatic ER+/HER2-
breast cancer. For more information, visit www.arvinas.com.
The Senior Research Scientist will serve as a core member of
discovery and development teams to execute formulation strategy for
lead optimization activities and identification/progression of
Arvinas PROTAC drug candidates. Working closely with in vivo,
biology, and medicinal chemistry groups, the incumbent will enable
discovery activities by designing formulations for BCS II/IV
compounds that are used in pharmacology, pharmacokinetic, and
toxicology studies. To achieve these goals, the Senior Research
Scientist will personally undertake hands-on laboratory activities,
and when necessary, identify external partners. They will support
lead optimization activities by providing experimental and
intellectual feedback regarding molecular properties and how they
affect formulation options and developability.
Enabling delivery of beyond rule-of-five compounds is one of
most active areas in formulation research today, opening many novel
options for those scientists willing to engage the challenge.
Arvinas leads the field of protein degradation - one of the newest
areas in pharmaceutical research and development, and one with the
potential to have profound impact on human health. The resulting
combined problem statement represents a unique opportunity for
scientists to establish the future paradigm for molecular design
and delivery for this mode of therapeutic intervention.
This position reports to Executive Director, Formulation R&D
and will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited
- Design fit-for-purpose oral and injectable formulations to
enable exploratory and enabling animal studies.
- Through personal contribution and supervising others, work
closely with in-life groups to develop, prepare, and troubleshoot
formulations suitable for use in drug discovery pharmacology,
pharmacokinetic, and toxicology studies.
- Design, carry out, and interpret preformulation studies on
potential drug candidates, with the purpose of defining their
physicochemical and biopharmaceutical properties relevant to oral
and parenteral administration.
- Provide experimental/computational/predictive input to drug
discovery scientists during screening of new chemical entities and
enable drug design from lead optimization to the point of candidate
identification, characterization, and selection.
- Drive strategic direction of the discovery support function to
further its ability to act as a problem-solving resource for
- Advance the abilities of Arvinas to develop expertise in
scientific areas that enable discovery of drugs, with particular
attention to assessing and understanding the role of
physicochemical properties in biopharmaceutical performance.
- Work closely with peers on project teams to seamlessly and
expeditiously advance compounds through preclinical evaluation and
into the clinic.
- Applying principals of physical chemistry, assist discovery
scientists in designing in vitro assays by identifying and
addressing problems related to molecular properties and performance
(e.g., solubility, sorption phenomena, etc.)
- Maintain a state-of-the-art understanding of
formulation/drug-delivery technologies and how they are best
applied to identification and enablement of therapeutically-viable
beyond rule-of-five compounds.
- PhD or MS in Pharmaceutical / Medicinal / Physical
- 2-4 years of experience in industrial drug development is
- Hands-on, laboratory experience with formulation development of
compounds in the preclinical space that are challenging with
respect to solubility, permeability, lipophilicity, and ADME
- Demonstrated experience applying formulation technologies and
strategies for BSC II/IV compounds in a non-manufacturing
- A clear understanding of the relationship between molecular
properties (e.g., solid state characteristics, solubility,
supersaturation, etc.) and formulation performance, design,
selection, and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated history in designing and preparing formulations
administered to non-human subjects
- An understanding of basic medicinal chemistry and
biopharmaceutical principles as they apply to drug discovery and
- A willingness to take on challenging problem statements and
acquire/apply the skills necessary to address them.
- Ability to be proactive in identifying issues and hurdles that
may hinder the effective implementation and/or progression of a
study and resolve the issues in a timely and creative fashion.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and deliver on tight
- Appreciate the necessity of thinking innovatively and reduce
such thinking to practical implementation enabling the discovery
and development of new molecular entities.
- Experience in communicating/presenting complex information to
scientists from other disciplines.
- Ability to multi-task and manage several projects in parallel,
paying attention to detail.
- Ability to forge cross-functional working relationships with
internal and external project partners.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Experience in using computers and databases for data
collection, compilation, analysis, and information
- Proficient with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and HPLC
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and
incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program
designed to support the health, wellness, and financial security of
our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical,
vision, and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance,
and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keywords: Arvinas, Inc., New Haven , Senior Research Scientist, Formulation R&D, Other , New Haven, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!