General Liability Litigation Claim Specialist - New Hire Bonus
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$73,800.00 - $121,700.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Potential for New Hire Bonus of up to $5,000.
Under general supervision, the position is responsible for
investigating, evaluating, reserving, negotiating and resolving
assigned General Liability related Bodily Injury and Property
Damage claims. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim
life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation,
reserving, litigation management, negotiation and resolution)
including maintaining full compliance with internal and external
quality standards and state specific regulations. Provides
consulting and training resources, and serves as a contact and
technical resource to the field and our business partners. This job
does not manage staff.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
What Will You Do?
- Directly handles assigned severe claims.
- Provides quality customer service and ensures file quality and
timely coverage analysis and communication with insured based on
application of policy information to facts or allegations of each
- Consults with Manager on use of Claim Coverage Counsel as
- Directly investigate each claim through prompt and
strategically-appropriate contact with appropriate parties such as
policyholders, accounts, claimants, law enforcement agencies,
witnesses, agents, medical providers and technical experts to
determine the extent of liability, damages, and contribution
potential. Interview witnesses and stakeholders; take necessary
statements, as strategically appropriate.
- Completes outside investigation as needed per case
- Actively engages in the identification, selection and direction
of appropriate internal and/or external resources for specific
activities required to effectively evaluate claims, such as
Subrogation, Risk Control, nurse consultants, and fire or fraud
investigators, and other experts.
- Verifies the nature and extent of injury or property damage by
obtaining and reviewing appropriate records and damages
- Maintains claim files and documents claim file activities in
accordance with established procedures.
- Utilizes evaluation documentation tools in accordance with
- Proactively review Claim File Analysis (CFA) for adherence to
quality standards and trend analysis.
- Utilizes diary management system to ensure that all claims are
handled timely. At required time intervals, evaluate liability and
- Establishes and maintains proper indemnity and expense
- Recommends appropriate cases for discussion at roundtable.
- Attends and/or presents at roundtables/ authority discussions
for collaboration of technical expertise resulting in improved
payout on indemnity and expense.
- Actively and enthusiastically shares experience and knowledge
of creative resolution techniques to improve the claim results of
- Develops and employs creative resolution strategies.
- Promptly and properly disposition all claims within delegated
- Negotiates disposition of claims with insureds and claimants or
their legal representatives.
- Recognizes and implements alternate means of resolution.
- Manages litigated claims. Develops litigation plan with staff
or panel counsel, including discovery and legal expenses, to assure
effective resolution and to satisfy customers.
- Applies litigation management through the selection of counsel,
evaluation and direction of claim and litigation strategy.
- Tracks and controls legal expenses to assure cost-effective
- Effectively and efficiently manage both allocated and
unallocated loss adjustment expenses.
- Attends depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials,
trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Updates appropriate parties as needed, providing new
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job,
acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required
to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally,
license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job
and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- 3 years bodily injury liability claim handling and/or
- Skilled in coverage, contract interpretation, liability and
damages analysis and has a thorough understanding of the litigation
process, relevant case and statutory law and expert litigation
- Extensive claim and/or legal experience and technical expertise
to evaluate severe and complex claims.
- Able to make independent decisions on most assigned cases
without involvement of supervisor.
- Thorough understanding of business line products, policy
language, exclusions, ISO forms, and effective claims handling
- Openness to the ideas and expertise of others actively solicits
input and shares ideas.
- Strong negotiation and customer service skills. -
- Demonstrated coaching, influence and persuasion skills.-
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required so
as to understand, synthesize, interpret and convey, in a simplified
manner, complex data and information to audiences with varying
levels of expertise.- Intermediate
- Strong technology aptitude; ability to use business technology
tools to effectively research, track, and communicate information.
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy -Intermediate
- Job Specific Technical Competencies:
- Analytical Thinking - Intermediate
- Judgment/Decision Making - Intermediate
- Communication - Intermediate
- Negotiation - Intermediate
- Insurance Contract Knowledge - Intermediate
- Principles of Investigation - Intermediate
- Value Determination - Intermediate
- Settlement Techniques - Intermediate
- Legal Knowledge - Basic
- Medical Knowledge - Intermediate
What is a Must Have?
- High School Degree or GED required with a minimum of 2 years
bodily injury liability claim experience and/or comparable
litigation claim handling experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., New Haven , General Liability Litigation Claim Specialist - New Hire Bonus, Legal , Melville, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!