Diesel or Automotive Mechanic
Company: First Student
Location: New Haven
Posted on: September 18, 2023
First Student is now hiring a Diesel or Automotive Mechanic for
our shop serving New Haven and Branford Public Schools! First
thingsFirst: Who are we? Twice the size of our next largest
competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation
solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5
million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S.
airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the
industry's strongest safety record, First Student delivers
reliable, quality services to 1,100 school districts. Why join
First as a Mechanic?
- Up to $39.09 per hour based on experience and qualifications
(NOT flat rate)
- An additional $.25 per hour for each ASE certification you
possess or obtain (eligible for up to 7 certifications)
- Company-paid ASE testing and training materials
- Monday-Friday 1:00 pm - 9:30 pm full-time shift schedule and
consistent, year-round work
- Tremendous career advancement opportunities
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, & 401(k)
- Paid holidays & vacation
- Annual allowances for boots and prescription safety
- State-of-the-art training programs
- Discounts on cell phone plans, cars, and more through the Perk
Spot program! About the Mechanic Position As a Diesel or Automotive
Mechanic with First Student, you will help maintain and repair
Thomas, GM, Ford, and Dodge school buses to ensure vehicle
readiness & safety, while providing guidance to lower-level
technicians. Other major job duties include:
- Lead preventative maintenance (PMs), safety inspections, and
annual DOT maintenance inspections.
- Diagnose and perform all phases of vehicle and equipment repair
including brakes, suspensions, drivetrains, & transmissions.
- Ensure work orders are completed accurately.
- Assist with mobile emergency services. Technician
- Valid driver's license required; Willingness to obtain CDL
while employed – We train!
- At least 5 years of automotive or diesel maintenance & repair
experience or technical school education
- Possess a mechanic's tool set
- Willingness to participate in ASE certification program.
Training, testing, and bonuses provided!
- Subject to DOT drug testing and physical. DOT Regulation 49 CFR
Part 40 does not authorize the use of Schedule I drugs, including
marijuana, for any reason. Get your career on the road with First
Student! We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We
strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For
candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles
California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants
with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San
Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance
Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so
we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports
future growth for all.
Keywords: First Student, New Haven , Diesel or Automotive Mechanic, Engineering , New Haven, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!