Associate Editor, Quantum Information Science and Technology
Company: American Physical Society
Location: Stony Brook
Posted on: January 27, 2023
American Physical Society
Associate Editor, Quantum Information Science and Technology
The Associate Editor will decide on publication of the most
exciting and consequential results in the field, conducting a
thorough and high-quality review process. A successful candidate
will work together with the editorial teams of two top-notch
journals, PRX Quantum and Physical Review Applied, in addition to
interacting with their Lead Editors and Editorial Boards. The
Associate Editor will also be responsible for engaging and building
connections with researchers from this highly multidisciplinary
APS has a "remote first" concept that promotes equal treatment and
equal access within the United States, independent of physical work
location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote
work locations. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a
variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with
an outstanding total compensation package, including salary,
outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
- Evaluate the scientific content and impact of manuscripts in a
critical and independent manner, managing all aspects of peer
review for a range of submissions to PRX Quantum and Physical
Review Applied, as appropriate.
- Decide to editorially reject or proceed with peer review, based
on the journal's acceptance criteria and scope.
- Maintain impeccable ethical standards and fairness at all
- Actively participate in everyday journal initiatives, such as
highlighting and attracting top content.
- Actively contribute to high-level editorial strategies and
engage with Editorial Board members.
- Participate in editorial and cross-departmental projects to
meet and support the goals of APS.
- Represent the journals and the APS as a whole at scientific
conferences, give presentations, and organize conference
- Interact with key researchers and groups at pertinent
laboratories and institutions, or through social media.
- Actively engage and develop strong relationships and trust with
a broad network of researchers from academia and industry.
- Ensure that Physical Review standards for quality, general
style, guidelines, and technical issues are maintained, by
communicating with authors, internal support staff, and external
- Use tools to conduct, analyze, and enhance the peer-review
Education: A PhD is required, in Physics, Engineering, or a
relevant scientific field. Postdoctoral experience is required.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A minimum of 1 year of postdoctoral experience.
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific literature, existing
research groups in the area of coverage, and acute awareness of
- Passion for learning and sharing research in quantum
- A strong sense of integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication
- Demonstrate excellent command of written English.
- Capable of being detail-oriented without losing sight of the
- The ability to make independent decisions and
- The ability to apply journal policies and practices, and make
sound editorial judgments.
- Knowledge of Web-based manuscript handling and
- A strong sense of responsibility and a commitment to the
Travel: The position requires some business travel to attend
conferences and events, and to interact with researchers at their
institutions and universities.
Our Editorial Offices are located on Long Island. We are
operational in most US states. The Editorial Department allows
flexible work hours; responsiveness is required, however, during
the core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday. The successful
candidate will join a collaborative international team of editors
across the Physical Review journals.
This is Us:
Help us achieve our mission of advancing and diffusing the
knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics,
and serve the broader physics community.
At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an
active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential
role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Core values are essential to shaping the culture of an
organization. They provide the structure and guidance for how we
conduct ourselves in our day-to-day interactions. Every employee
has a responsibility for upholding these values. The behaviors and
actions associated with demonstrating competency in these Core
Values are described in a separate document.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Amazing 2023 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based
on medical plan enrollment
- Lifestyle Spending benefit up to $2000.00 (USD) - 100% employer
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100%
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100%
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse &
dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness insurance
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 17 paid days of significance; includes
one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- Bereavement & Compassion leave: 2 -15 days based on
- 12 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Professional Certification/Recertification 100% employer
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn
Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
- APS does not offer relocation assistance/costs
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal
opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society
not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or
applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or
citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age,
disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran
status, protected military status, physical or mental disability,
sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information,
predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence
victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with
regard to any employment practices, including recruitment,
advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading,
training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments,
benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of
employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without
reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of
the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American
Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal
opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with
disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.
To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human
Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The "Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal" poster,
prepared by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
(EEOC), provides an overview of several laws that protect you from
discrimination on the job, and several rights are afforded to you
by these laws. The "Pay Transparency Non Discrimination Provision,"
prepared by the U.S. Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
(OFCCP), provides an overview of several protections implemented to
protect individuals working under federal contracts from
discrimination when inquiring about or discussing compensation;
these protections apply to all employees and applicants. All APS
Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via
our secured vaccination portal upon hire, unless they have an HR
approved medical or religious exemption.The APS has a "remote
first" concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access,
independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff
working primarily from remote work locations. We welcome you to
apply today! #LI-SB1
Please see job description
Keywords: American Physical Society, New Haven , Associate Editor, Quantum Information Science and Technology, Advertising , Stony Brook, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!